Re: Let's make Emacs mainstream (through org-mode)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Let's make Emacs mainstream (through org-mode)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 00:49:10 -0500

  > There are several fund raising platforms (Patreon being the most
  > well-known, but not the only one)

For moral reasons, we cannot refer people to donation sites that
require donors to run nonfree software.  Patreon does that, and as far
as I know they all do.  I would be very glad to find out about one
that doesn't.

  > Another thing to consider is funding in general. There is this
  > widespread misbelief that one can support the development of Emacs and
  > Emacs packages by donating to the FSF. Giving people an official option
  > to that effect might be worth looking into.

The FSF does this sort of thing, and could do it for Emacs.
The question is, have we got useful ways to spend sums in the
hundreds or thousands -- not enough to pay for large jobs of
programming.

--
Dr Richard Stallman