Re: elpa.git and `new-master`

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: elpa.git and `new-master`
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 17:34:41 -0500

[ I task-switched to something else, so this will have to wait a bit,
  but in the mean time: ]

> I noticed that non-fast-forward pushes are disallowed (when trying to
> do the reset I just mentioned myself) and ended up wondering if there
> are any other checks in place that prevent other potential push errors.

Indeed.  You can still delete a branch, so you can non-fast-forward by
deleting and then pushing something else.  We discourage doing it, tho,
so please don't abuse it.

> Most importantly what happens if someone has managed to merge the old
> "master" into the new one and then pushes that?  That is a fast-forward,
> though one that we very much want to prevent.

Yes, that'd be a problem.  But no, there's no protection against that.

> Is there some list with disallowed hashes?

No.

> `org-texinfo-export-to-texinfo' may end up calling git (e.g. to get the
> version number), which requires access to the git (control) directory
> "ELPA/.git" (just "ELPA/.git/worktrees/<package>" probably won't do),
> but currently bubblewrap is not given access to that.

> That almost worked. "make build/<package>" (or `elpaa--make-one-package')
> calls `elpaa--external-package-sync', which pulls.  That of course is not
> desirable when one wants to test some other revision of the package than
> what would end up being pulled.

Could you make bug reports for those (and put me in the X-Debbugs-Cc) so
I don't forget?

        Stefan