Re: Additional cleanup around xterm-mouse

From: Jared Finder
Subject: Re: Additional cleanup around xterm-mouse
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 21:30:24 -0800

Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 16:54:26 -0800
From: Jared Finder <jared@finder.org>
Cc: "Jared Finder via \"Emacs development discussions.\""
 <emacs-devel@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>

Any updates here?

I do not know what the etiquette is here in terms of replies, so I'd
like to apologize in advance if I'm just being impatient.

FWIW, I was waiting for Stefan to react to your responses.

It seems Stefan is very busy right now. Would you be okay deferring the issues Stefan raised? Or would you prefer to just wait?

My impression is that his concern is around if it makes sense to add a new parameter to read-key and if inhibit--unbound-mouse-fallback should instead be done through function-key-map (avoiding adding a new var). But these can both be avoided:

1. I can just not add a new parameter to read-key. I only did this so that external packages had a solution that didn't involve inhibit--unbound-mouse-fallback or read-potential-mouse-event.

2. Since inhibit--unbound-mouse-fallback is internal (both in doc comment and in its name), it can safely be removed in the future.

With the above done, if you / Stefan want to instead make this work via function-key-map and not add a parameter to read-key, that can be done while safely removing inhibit--unbound-mouse-fallback.

Thoughts?  I'm okay either way.

  -- MJF