Re: elpa.git and `new-master`

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: elpa.git and `new-master`
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 09:15:30 -0500

On 2020-12-16 15:49, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> writes:
> >
> >> The example creates a new branch 'main' but you could just as well just
> >> rename the master branch to main:
> >>
> >>   git branch -m master main
> >
> > Since we're (for some Stefan-like values of "we") doing a rare reorg of
> > a source repo, and everybody will have to re-pull the ELPA repo anyway,
> > I'm all for taking this unique opportunity to call the main branch in
> > ELPA "main".
>
> We can probably rename new-master to main. That way there will be no
> non-fast-foward issues.

It may also help avoid any future confusion to rename the current 'master'
branch to indicate that it has been obsolesced, maybe something like
'master-obsolete-2020-12-16' or, to place it lexical-y closer to 'main'
in listings of branches, rename it to main-obsolete-2020-12-16' - that
would also be helpful for emacs users 200 years from now who can be
expected not to know anything about 'master' branches.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0