Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 19:14:05 +0200

On 16.12.2020 11:24, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

I also think the poll is heavily biased in favor of either Reddit
users (who are largely either power-users, or those who inspire to
be), or experienced Emacs users in general.

My impression is that that's not accurate -- there's certainly
experienced people who hang out on the Emacs Reddit group, but there's
also a lot of new users.  (And my guess is that the latter group is
larger, based on the questions I see asked there.)

New users ask questions more often than the more experienced ones. There are 50K subscribers to r/emacs and 300 people online just now. Clearly, people asking questions are a minority.

In the mega-thread about modernising Emacs, the common refrain was that
we needed actual data on what users do.  We now have some data, and I
don't think we should just dismiss that data because of statistical
quibbles.

The question is how to contextualize the data and what to do about it.

I agree that the toolbars we have are probably less useful than they could be.

I mean, look at the toolbar that happens when you "emacs -Q": You get an
Emacs with a scratch buffer...  with a "Save" icon.  In a buffer that
can't be saved.  That's how much attention we've spent on toolbars in
two decades.

Well, it actually can be saved, as soon as you type something (C-x C-s works), and it's one of the real usage patterns. The button doesn't indicate that, though.

But OTOH we have other buttons (New file, Open, Undo, Cut and Paste) that a lot of users expect from a text editor.

All the items in the *scratch* buffer toolbar are more natural for a
menu, and they're already present there.

Maybe you're right. I checked back, and most contemporary text editors don't have a toolbar like we do.

Atom/Sublime/VS Code don't have this kind of editor toolbar. IDEA only has specialized toolbars for, like, debugging.

The recent versions of Kate (KDE editor) also seem to have removed it. GNOME Builder only has a small number of buttons, and they are on the title bar. Geany still has a toolbar, though.

Even MS Word, while it has a toolbar for certain features, has moved the basic edit buttons to the window titlebar and made them pretty small.