Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 15:10:11 -0500

>>> So please describe how you envision the process of building a release
>>> tarball under this assumption.  E.g., how do I know which version of
>>> package A I want to bundle is stable enough to go to a bugfix elease
>>> of Emacs?
>>
>> I'd expect it to work the same as for Org, MH-E, Gnus, you name it.
>
> But those all currently have code in emacs.git; later you say that makes
> them not candidates for ELPA bundling. So this is inconsistent.

Because the above sentence of mine is talking about who decides (and
how) which particular version of which package will be bundled.
This same process works regardless *how* the package is bundled, so
whatever we do for packages currently copied into emacs.git, we can do
the same for bundled ELPA packages.

        Stefan