Re: master 9cef8fc: Ensure that new emacsclient frames has focus

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 9cef8fc: Ensure that new emacsclient frames has focus
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 09:39:00 +0100

Joseph Mingrone <jrm@ftfl.ca> writes:

>>     Ensure that new emacsclient frames has focus

[...]

> I'm seeing some new behaviour with this commit that I suspect was
> unintended.
>
> Before this commit, calling emacsclient -n <file> from a terminal
> emulator caused the emacs frame to be raised.
>
> After this commit, the terminal emulator normally stays in focus.  I
> haven't figured out for certain when the emacs frame still gains focus,
> but it seems to happen when <file> does not exist on disk.

I was afraid of something like that -- the code in this area has gotten
a lot of tweaks over the years because the actions are a bit convoluted.

I'm seeing the same behaviour with -n with both existing and
non-existing files, though.  (That is, that the Emacs frame doesn't get
focus.)  It'd be nice if you could figure out when the frame still gets
focus, because that sounds like another wrinkle...