Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 09:42:16 +0100

>> > I assume you mean _some_ people.
>>
>> Would each you please take a deep breath, and respond
>> more kindly from now on?
>
> Would you please take a deep breath?  I don't think
> there was anything unkind in either what Robert said
> or in my reply to him.

I agree

> Did you actually read what each of us said?  The point
> of my emphasis on "some" was elaborated in the rest of
> what I said, the point of which was that we can easily
> accommodate _both_ expectations of saving automatically
> and saving only on demand.

True, although adding an option that says 'save all changes
automatically' will help those who already know how to make
configuration changes permanent. I was aiming more for the subset of
people who donʼt know that yet.

> I don't even see any disagreement in what we were each
> saying.  Some people _are_ used to automatic saving,
> and we can accommodate that while also giving others
> what they expect (which is what we have now).

The only disagreement is whether such an option should be enabled by
default for changes made via the menus, I think.

Robert