Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:01:57 +0100

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>>> And perhaps there should be some menu to toggle the tool bar/scroll bars
>>> on/off?  That might be there already somewhere, but not in the menu
>>> where it would make sense -- the Options menu...
>>
>> It's under Options->Show/Hide.

In this UX experiment, this user was unable to find that option.  More
data!

But all kidding aside, that's a pretty baroque menu system there, and
putting the options for where the toolbar should be (!) in the same
place is just odd.

> Should we take this opportunity to either auto-save config changes
> made via the menus, or put a big red button somewhere saying 'click
> here to save settings', or prompt the user to save them when exiting?

Yes.

> (Iʼve never really liked the toolbar enable/disable menu. How many gui
> applications these days let you put the toolbar anywhere other than at
> the top?)

Yeah, that's weird, and shouldn't be in the menu.  It's a detail best
left to `M-x customize'.