RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 09:48:26 -0800 (PST)

> > The only disagreement is whether such an option should be enabled by
> > default for changes made via the menus, I think.
>
> That depends on whether we would people to experiment without messing
> up their setup.   For those who experiment with many problems. they
> run the risk of forgetting how to revert to their previous configuration.
> Perhaps writing the details in a file, and using that if they want to
> revert back?

Yes, that was a point I made.

There are good arguments to be made both for and
against auto-saving of option changes.  My message
of a few minutes ago elaborates on this.

Providing for the possibility (choice) of auto-saving
could be a good thing.  Providing flexibility in such
a user choice would be even better.

IOW, even just a choice always/never save all options
could be a step forward, but it's not the best possible
solution.  Options are not all the same, and users
don't all use the same option the same way.