RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 09:06:02 -0800 (PST)

> >> Should we take this opportunity to either auto-save config changes
> >> made via the menus, or put a big red button somewhere saying 'click
> >> here to save settings', or prompt the user to save them when exiting?
> >
> > What's wrong with Options->Save Options?
>
> Nothing, except that people have been conditioned to expect that
> changes in options get saved automatically,

I assume you mean _some_ people.

> so we could do that for
> them if they make the changes via the menus. On a related note, perhaps
> 'save options' should be the last entry in the Options menu, to make
> it stand out more.

If some more than a few people really do expect
setting (option) changes to be saved automatically,
then we could add an option (!) (or a minor mode)
that does that.  Turn on that option, and thereafter
all changes you make to options, faces, themes, etc.
get saved automatically.

Note that that behavior can get in the way of user
experimentation.  Not that it's necessarily limiting
- it's just a different approach.

In sum, if we want to support automatic saving of
every setting change then we should do so optionally
(and opt-in), not just switch to that for everyone.