RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 09:59:45 -0800 (PST)

> I don't think somebody has
> suggested dynamically adding/removing buttons from the toolbar, though?

I think Christopher did suggest that.  And I think
he suggested that users even be able to easily define
their own toolbar buttons/icons.

But he'll correct me if I'm mistaken in this.

> What has been suggested is that only modes where it makes sense should
> enable the toolbar (and there probably aren't that many where it makes
> much sense).

For some (individual?) definition of "makes sense",
it could well make sense for most modes/buffers.

The point is that different users can work differently.

> However, that's probably technically difficult -- people have setups
> where they've computed the size of the Emacs windows based on whether
> (or not) they have toolbars enabled?  So switching the toolbars on/off
> dynamically may lead to some difficulties in that area?

I already mentioned tool-bar+.el, which lets you
dynamically show and use the tool bar for one-off
use, by clicking a pseudo menu-bar menu name.

The tool-bar appears, you click a button for its
action, then the tool-bar disappears.

Currently this is only per-frame, not per window.

And currently I have to use a menu-bar menu for
the "button" that pops up the tool-bar.  It might
be nicer to have an icon button for this in the
menu-bar, if that were possible.
___

We might also consider having a "hamburger" menu
in the mode-line.  Items in that menu could
show/hide the menu|tool-bar or pop them up for
one-off actions.  That's one more way to save
screen real estate while giving discoverable
access to menus and tool buttons.