RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 11:12:59 -0800 (PST)

> No, I wouldn't, which is why I don't really suggest doing this.
> Somebody may come up with ideas that makes the proposition workeable,
> and I see that Drew has one -- he suggests having a blank toolbar in
> these instances, and ... perhaps?  It's a lot of "dead" space real
> estate, though, so I'm not really enthusiastic.

I haven't suggested using a blank tool-bar.

Not at all.  The `tool-bar+.el' code that I
pointed to lets you _not show_ (not have) a
tool bar at all, until you click a menu-bar
pseudo-menu.

When you do that Emacs pops up the tool-bar
only for the duration of one action (tool-bar
action or any other action).

There's no blank tool bar - no wasted space.
As the doc for `tool-bar+.el' makes clear,
that's the point: save screen real estate.

It takes only a minute to go to Emacs Wiki,
download `tool-bar+.el', load it, and try it.
You will immediately see the effect, and
won't have to guess.  You don't have to like
it, but you might want to at least find out
what it is (and isn't).

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/tool-bar%2b.el

Other approaches are possible.  With only
Lisp (no C, toolkit etc. changes), I came up
with the behavior it offers.  Emacs can no
doubt do something better or different.  But
IMO, `tool-bar+.el' is a good start, and it
or similar could be added to Emacs immediately.