Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 00:34:57 -0500

  > Of 7.3K respondents, 5K disable toolbars, which is more than two
  > thirds.  So perhaps toolbars should default to off?  I know toolbars
  > were all the rage in the 90s, but that's apparently not the case now.

  > Opinions?

The people who responded to that survey are certainly not representative
of all users.  They were selected for being users of certain web sites.

That doesn't imply that most users want toolbars.  Maybe hardly anyone
wants toolbars.

So here's an idea.  We could make Emacs display, where the toolbar
would have been, a question:

   Would you like a toolbar here or not?   Yes   No

If you click Yes, that customizes to permanently turn on the toolbar.
If you click No, that customizes to permanently turn off the toolbar.

Each one could offer to click on a web page where you could
register your preference.  That way we would get a complete sample.

--
Dr Richard Stallman