Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 10:37:10 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I don't understand what you'd like to have instead.  Would you like
> Emacs to instead constantly add and remove tool-bar buttons as they
> become available/not available?  I think this would be much more
> annoying, and will cause even more people to disable the tool bar.

We're discussing different options.  I don't think somebody has
suggested dynamically adding/removing buttons from the toolbar, though?

What has been suggested is that only modes where it makes sense should
enable the toolbar (and there probably aren't that many where it makes
much sense).

However, that's probably technically difficult -- people have setups
where they've computed the size of the Emacs windows based on whether
(or not) they have toolbars enabled?  So switching the toolbars on/off
dynamically may lead to some difficulties in that area?

Perhaps modes with "action buttons" (like mpc/eww) should just put the
buttons in the header line.  And then we're back to the original
suggestion: Just default the toolbar to "off".