RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 10:07:03 -0800 (PST)

> > What would be accessible is to provide icons for many functions and
> > let users drag and drop into the toolbar.
>
> Correct, that what I mean.  But also that a toolbar icon could run a user
> defined function.
>
> My disagreement with Lars is that he wants that the determination of when the
> toolbar can be used is defined by what makes sense to the maintainers of
> Emacs.
>
> Completely wrong.

A very easy start would be to provide a single button
that is shown only if it has an associated binding/action,
and whose action is user-defined, the value of a user
option.

No, that doesn't respond to all that you request (which
I support, BTW).  But it would seem like a zero-cost
no-brainer, to at least let user get a user-defined
toolbar button.  And the action option could be buffer
local.  You'd at least get a user-definable,
mode-specific button.