Re: NNSelect Failing

From: Andrew Cohen
Subject: Re: NNSelect Failing
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 10:12:41 +0800

>>>>> "TVR" == T V Raman <raman@google.com> writes:

    TVR> Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk> writes: I first noticed it after
    TVR> search broke for me and was restored.

OK, going back through your messages it appears that this was Nov 7, and
you were pretty clearly using the nnselect backend prior to that.  This
would tend to point the finger at gnus-search.

But I'm kind of stumped how it could be gnus-search, since it should by
completely out of the loop once the list of articles is generated. This
suggests that something else (neither nnselect or gnus-search) changed
coincidentally around the same time. I don't see anything obvious in the
git logs from around this time.

I wish I could reproduce it. Just as a benchmark I do a search with an
imap group with about 20,000 messages that returns 4000 search hits. It
takes well under 1s from hitting "q" to finishing back at the group
buffer. (I haven't done better timing since I am assuming your observed
latency is more than this).

Some questions:

The symptoms are: you enter a search group, do whatever, hit "q" to
exit, and it just takes awhile before you are back in the group buffer?

I assume this is with an ephemeral search group? (If it is a permanent
group things might be different).

Do you use the registry? If so does turning it off eliminate the latency?