Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 18:41:02 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Before this is taken as an indication that using one of these
> libraries will automagically make Emacs as fast as the applications
> like curl, we should carefully profile url.el and find out which
> part(s) of it cause the slowness.  Because it could well be that what
> makes url.el slow will also make Emacs using libcurl slow.

Maybe this library can be of help while testing/profiling

https://tkf.github.io/emacs-request/

"Request.el is a HTTP request library with multiple backends. It supports
url.el which is shipped with Emacs and curl command line program. User can use
curl when s/he has it, as curl is more reliable than url.el. Library author can
use request.el to avoid imposing external dependencies such as curl to users
while giving richer experience for users who have curl."

https://github.com/tkf/emacs-request

Sorry for the github link; but it can be just cloned without running
their js.