Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 04:32:25 +0100

"Philip K." <philipk@posteo.net> writes:

> In that case, gnutls-negotiate seems to be the most suspicious function,
> using over 50%-60% of the CPU time, at least on my machine.

I haven't checked, but I seem to remember there being a busy-wait in
gnutls-negotiate somewhere?

> This also makes sense, as TLS sites seem to take longer to load than
> regular, non-encrypted ones.

TLS sites have more round trips than non-TLS sites (and there's more
data to transfer), so that's natural for smaller documents.  If the
document being pulled down is large, though, there shouldn't be a big
time differential (if nothing's broken in our code).