Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 11:49:55 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Request.el is another story, and I can't comment on that. It's probably
>   > just like with dash/s/f/... where non-elisp developers dislike the
>   > built-in API, but I'm just guessing.
>
> From what people have said here, it sounds unproblematical.
> But could you explain what you mean by comparing it with dash/s/f/?

In my experience, people use dash/s/f when they are either unfamiliar
with the built-in functions and macros, or when they find them too
cumbersome to use (I'm sure there are exceptions, but again, this is my
impression). So they want to write (s-join "+" '("abc" "def" "ghi"))
instead of (mapconcat #'identity '("abc" "def" "ghi") "+"), and add an
external dependency for this minor convenience.

And again, in my experience this often motivates people to use request,
though it might be a better example, because it actually does useful
stuff, even though I don't always think it's idiomatic. The built-in
url.el could use this as an inspiration, to add more macros/functions
that simplify code.

One notable difference is that it will use curl, the binary, instead of
url.el if it's installed, which does notably accelerate network
requests.

--
        Philip K.