Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 13:59:16 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > > Does request.el indeed duplicate built-in functionality?
>   > I wouldn't think so. It models an asychronous framework for network
>   > requests.
>
> That is very abstract -- concretely what does it mean?
It gives a little API to do http requests, and it can switch between
curl and built-in url as backends. I thought it was already done, so
easy to use when profiling. I thought it would be useful, so I just
pointed to it, I didn't thought it would cause so much discussion.

>   > > But maybe it could be added very simply to url.el.
>
>   > Sure, you could do own wrapper,
>
> Why do you say "wrapper"?  I don't know what you mean,
An abstraction on top of both, as he did.

> but I have a feeling we are miscommunicating.
Maybe, easy on the internet. I am not always the best to communicate
with either. Sorry, probably my fault.
>                                     but the man already modelled one, why
>   > not just use it?
>
> What do you mean by "modelled"?
Architect, designed, created .... it was just a word.