Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 08:10:32 +0100

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com> writes:

> A few years ago I wrote a builder script for Windows that installs all
> of the required dependencies for building Emacs:
>
> https://github.com/sg2002/ms-windows-builder.el
>
> This may be of some use to you in your project, if you decide to pursue it.

Thanks -- it seems like a lot of code to build Emacs, though.  But I
haven't yet attempted doing that under MinGW, so perhaps it's really
that complicated...

> I had thoughts of refactoring this into a more generic cross-platform
> tool, with the end goal of abstracting away the OS and the OS's
> package manager, but it's a lot of work... Then again, the benefit is
> pretty clear.

I've written up instructions on building Emacs on just about all the
operating systems, and it turns out to be pretty easy on most of
them...  if you know which magical incantations to use.