Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 18:35:50 +0100

> Maybe somebody will help you? I, for example, am already thinking
> about GitLab runners. But I didn't start to implement.

The VMs are running on my machine on the desk over there *points*, so
I'm a bit leery of hooking them up to some external system that can
issue commands.

>> This reminds me, though -- why isn't EMBA sending out "you broke the
>> build" messages to people?  That'd be quite useful, wouldn't it?
>
> Because nobody has implemented it? And it isn't trivial. Since every
> commit triggers the whole machinery on Emba, only the *first* commit
> which has broken something should send the message.
>
> Imagine, I have broken Tramp (not unlikely, you know). So I will get a
> message, and everybody who commits afterwards, would also get such
> message, until I have fixed this. Not so nice.
>
> AFAIK, GitLab has no memory. It doesn't remember, whether the previous
> job has failed.

When I've worked with CI systems, they usually are pretty good at
assigning blame for a breakage?  I'd be surprised if GitLab didn't have
such a basic feature.  But I know nothing about GitLab, and the
dashboard at emba isn't very encouraging -- it seems to say that most of
the builds failed because of git locking issues:

----
Another git process seems to be running in this repository, e.g.
an editor opened by 'git commit'. Please make sure all processes
are terminated then try again. If it still fails, a git process
may have crashed in this repository earlier:
----

So it looks like it needs some work?