Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 18:40:45 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

>> And remember, Dick promised
>> to set up a real multi-platform CI thing at some buildbot service or
>> other, and we won't need this super-simple one then.
>
> In case you're not being snarky here:
>
> There are free-ish CI solutions which we could use, one example is
> CircleCI (https://circleci.com/open-source/).

I am totally being snarky, because (in my experience) setting up CI for
a project takes a bit of work to get to a useful state, especially when
doing CI over a wide range of systems.  If somebody is willing to do the
work, that'd be wonderful, but apparently nobody is?

So instead we have the current state, where hydra builds on Debian, and
that's it.  (Plus Emba, and I don't know what systems it's building on,
really.)

> So to use it we would have to rely on a GitHub mirror. Can/should we
> do that?
>
> There is one at https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/, but we don't
> know who controls it, so we can't ask them to set up the integration
> from that side.

I think anybody's that interested can set this up in whatever way
they want to.  The CI doesn't have to be a GNU/FSF-approved thing.