Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?

From: Tim Landscheidt
Subject: Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 06:54:10 +0000

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> wrote:

>>> Okay. Let me write and come up with something. I take this up.

>> Hey, hang on a minute.  :-)  I appreciate the enthusiasm, but we should
>> first decide whether we want this or not.  And remember, Dick promised
>> to set up a real multi-platform CI thing at some buildbot service or
>> other, and we won't need this super-simple one then.

> Definitely I was going to hold till today. I was very late. :-) Read the

> Even if that infrastruction is ready, I would certainly want a script to
> find out the commit that broke the build on my hardware. That reverse
> choronological loop.

> If someone has that ready then please share. Or may be that could be
> part of the repository.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly.  If you want to find out
which commit broke a build (in any Git repository), you can
use "git bisect" to tell Git which commit worked and which
commit failed, and Git will then run an arbitrary command
(e. g. "make && make check") to see which commit broke the
build.  (NB: Strictly speaking, this only works when the
failure is, eh, monotonous (?), i. e. the build worked for
all commits from last-good to the-one-before-first-failure
and failed for all commits from first-failure to now.)

In the context of build farms, you can make the command more
complex, e. g. set up a container/copy a VM template, ssh
into the instance and run "git checkout $commit && make &&
make check" there.

Tim