Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Daniel Brooks
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 23:11:24 -0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > You can view it locally using Jupyter Notebook, which is a bit like
>   > Maxima or Macsyma but with Python instead of Lisp, and uses the Modified
>   > BSD license.
>
> That might be a solution I pesonally could use -- if I understood how
> to do it -- but there is more at stake than my seeing those graphs.
> Much more.
> It is not a good state of affairs for this information to direct people
> to run a nonfree program, and worse yet, that it happens in connection
> with Emacs.
>
> Would someone who is skilled at
> interpersonal relationships like to ask Dick Mao politely to make that JS
> code free, or convert the information to a directly readable format
>> and post that, or delete the JS and give a recipe for viewing the
> graphs using Jupyter Notebook, or some other adequate solution?

There's no JS for any of us to delete or to make free. GitHub renders
the notebook using the same Jupyter Notebook software that I recommend
using to view it with, so that's not a problem. It's just GitHub's own
JS that isn't free software.

Of course the graphs could be published anywhere else as well. Well, I
assume that it's not difficult to get Jupyter Notebook to export a
static view of the document, since GitHub does that already… Yea, in the
Jupyter interface, select File → Download As… → HTML. That opens it in a
new tab of your browser, and then you can use your browser to save it to
disk.

That said, I suspect that the notebook is just an intermediate
representation. There's also a notebook in the repository called "Emacs
User Survey 2020.ipynb" which was obviously used to generate the graphs
on the official survey results webpage: https://emacssurvey.org/2020/

I don't know if there's a plan to publish Dick Mao's commentary.ipynb
the same way, but it could obviously be done the same way.

db48x