Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 13:47:46 +0530

Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

>> Even if that infrastruction is ready, I would certainly want a script to
>> find out the commit that broke the build on my hardware. That reverse
>> choronological loop.
>
>> If someone has that ready then please share. Or may be that could be
>> part of the repository.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean exactly.  If you want to find out
> which commit broke a build (in any Git repository), you can
> use "git bisect" to tell Git which commit worked and which
> commit failed, and Git will then run an arbitrary command
> (e. g. "make && make check") to see which commit broke the
> build.

That might be useful if Git already has the information about good and
bad commits. It helps in narrowing down problems.

> (NB: Strictly speaking, this only works when the
> failure is, eh, monotonous (?), i. e. the build worked for
> all commits from last-good to the-one-before-first-failure
> and failed for all commits from first-failure to now.)

My use-case is very simple. I pull and make bootstrap daily. And on some
odd day if the build breaks, I want to file a bug. If I have the
information which commit broke it then it helps the maintainers. Even if
the failure is monotonous (not sure what to call linear may be), that
may help in narrowing down the issue. It could be inaccurate but still.

> In the context of build farms, you can make the command more
> complex, e. g. set up a container/copy a VM template, ssh
> into the instance and run "git checkout $commit && make &&
> make check" there.

As Lars asked/said, not sure if that is of any help to us.