Re: New year - Out with the old!

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: New year - Out with the old!
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 19:57:03 +0300

* novim <laszlomail@protonmail.com> [2020-12-23 19:20]:

I see that as various possible emulations. Emacs has thousands of
packages so I guess if any of Emacs package developers would miss
those emulations they would already make it just as the emulation of
vi editor exist. In my opinion those modes are not so hard to make.

> For example, from the VSCode docs:
>
> Keymap extensions
>
> Keyboard shortcuts are vital to productivity and changing keyboarding habits
> can be tough. To help with this, File > Preferences > Keymap Extensions shows
> you a list of popular keymap extensions. These extensions modify the VS Code
> shortcuts to match those of other editors so you don't need to learn new
> keyboard shortcuts. There is also a Keymaps category of extensions in the
> Marketplace.
>
> https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/getstarted/keybindings#_keymap-extensions

I understand that propaganda for editor may go over various emulations
of other editors. That is useful and handy. Well, somebody could make
those emulations.

> The same thing could help new Emacs users. When a new user starts
> Emacs then he could select a preferred keymap if he wants to, so he
> didn't have to start learning new keys, he could use the keys he's
> familiar with right away for opening files, saving, switching files,
> etc.

Definitely, I agree fully on that. The more emulations there would be
by default easier would be for some users to start using the editor.

When Emacs get stuck in someting, then I switch to using Zile editor
which is pretty much like Emacs by all its basic keybindings. Then I
may use `mg' editor which is simpler and has Emacs bindings. The
reason I use those is that I am used to Emacs keybindings, but they do
not become my first priority, rather just replacement. Then also `e3'
which has all common keybindings such as for vi `e3vi', pico like
`e3pi', then nedit, vi, wordstar. I may sponsor some of your mentioned
emulations little later in time. That would make Emacs easier usable
by other people.