Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 23:40:18 -0500

  > However, according to Wikipedia, modal dialogues are used

  >    "to command user awareness and to display emergency states"

  > inherently contradicting what we say above.  Maybe I'm the only one who
  > sees a contradiction here.

Emacs does not fit Wikipedia's general statement,
but I don't see that it ought to fit.

The idea of y-or-n-p and yes-or-no-p is that for less important
questions, where saying yes by mistake is not so bad, you can answer
in one character.  When more confirmation should be required, we use
yes-or-no-p so you must answer with four characters.

It just happened that the former was easy to do by reading an event and
the only easy way to do the latter was with a minibuffer.  So the
former turned out to be "modal" and the latter turned out not to be.

But I don't see that that matters particularly.
--
Dr Richard Stallman