Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)

From: Daniel Brooks
Subject: Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 20:01:31 -0800

>>> My feeling is that Emacs is so far from those problems that considering
>>> such issues will do little more than delay any actual progress.
>> Possibly, but I'm not so sure. Just looking at the message function for
>> a moment (because it's easy to grep for), there are a nonzero number
>> that do numeric substitions. Here are a few selected examples:
>
> You're missing my point: last I checked, we have 0 translations (well,
> beside the tutorials, that is).  So, worrying about addressing the
> plurality of plurals better than most other programs doesn't seem right.

Ah, ok. I suppose that's true. However, imagine the scenario in five
years when we have to rip out gettext and 42 translations and replace
them with something else because everyone is getting annoyed at how hard
it is to pluralize things correctly.

I don't think it will be all that difficult to do correctly, and if it
costs us a few months up front then in the long run that will be time
well-spent.

db48x