Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 16:16:24 +0200

> From: Zhu Zihao <all_but_last@163.com>
> Cc: dimech@gmx.com, abrochard@gmx.com, rms@gnu.org, bugs@gnu.support,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 09:54:04 +0800
>
> > There were serious discussions of this stuff in the past, which
> > revealed the parts of this (large) job, and in particular that just
> > having a Lisp binding for gettext is not enough.  We are "ready" in
> > the sense that someone needs to implement at least some of those
> > parts.
>
> Can you give me a link to the dicussion?

They are easy enough to find: search the list archives for "gettext"
or "l10n", and you will find them.  The last one starts here:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-03/msg00081.html

A previous one starts here:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-04/msg00750.html

> 1. Emacs should be able to compile gettext *.po file, not just read *.mo
> file. It's not elegant to distribute package with *.mo files bundled.
>
> 2. More tightly integration to gettext tools. This may already be
> solved, we can merge the po-mode.el from gettext project to Emacs and
> improve it.
>
> 3. Namespace. In order to make all 3rd-party Emacs plugins to use
> gettext l10n, we should provide a proper way to let plugins declare
> their own text domain. And we may also need to resolve the conflict.
> Since all plugins run with Emacs in same process. text domain name
> confliction will be a big problem.

These are technical problems that can be solved relatively easily.
The real issues are much harder, as discussed in those threads.