Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 07:05:33 +0100

> Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 10:51 AM
> From: "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: abrochard@gmx.com, bugs@gnu.support, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

>   > We could also motivate by offering small payments for solutions to
>   > unresolved problems.
>
> Yes, we could do that.  It could be a useful practice.
> And we would need to make a plan: a list of projects
> (not very many of them, I'd think) that are of a reasonable size
> and amounts to offer.
>
> Do you think people could be motivated by amounts under hundreds
> of dollars?  I tend to doubt it.

I was thinking to say, ‘Here’s a nice problem, we thought about it for a while,
and we
don’t see how to solve it.  Maybe it’s a $25 problem or possibly a $100 problem.

Or offer things like membership, discounts, entry to LibrePlanet, or have
certain
conditions for eligibility for specific internships.

I do not know how willing maintainers would be on offering a few weeks
internships locally.  The project community could contribute a few dollars
to have something comparable to Google Summer of Code for specific tasks.

To really move forward we got to focus on young people with plenty of
enthusiasm and eager to prove themselves.

Have had discussions with many people in the last few years, and figured
out how difficult it is to work with older people who are most often set
in their ways or routine.

>   > Most people I know don't know what to do or what problems are out there.
>
> Is this because we have not posted it in a clear enough way
> or because we have not made people aware of what we do post?

Mostly because many need guide and experience to really have their
own ideas for implementation.  Short manuals describing
topical  overview  areas with plenty of complementary material
on areas that require profound  understanding.