Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 11:31:13 +0200

> From: Daniel Brooks <db48x@db48x.net>
> Cc: all_but_last@163.com,  bugs@gnu.support,  dimech@gmx.com,
>   abrochard@gmx.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  rms@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 01:07:50 -0800
>
> Yes, I am aware of ngettext, and I could have picked a different
> example. Consider the example from projectfluent.org, where the output
> should change based on the user's gender:

I think this issue is largely irrelevant to Emacs (and to translating
program messages in general), since it customary nowadays to avoid
gender-specific language.  We certainly do that in Emacs.

> > How many translated languages for how many programs does this project
> > have?
>
> The main one that I know of is Firefox, which by my count has 96
> translations.

I didn't mean one program, I meant the total count.  It should be
indicative to how easy it is to find people who are both programmers
and can succinctly express themselves on technical issues in their
native languages.  IME, it is very hard to find such people.