Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)

From: Daniel Brooks
Subject: Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 02:14:31 -0800

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-12-26 12:32]:
>> I think this issue is largely irrelevant to Emacs (and to translating
>> program messages in general), since it customary nowadays to avoid
>> gender-specific language.  We certainly do that in Emacs.
>
> In many languages nouns have its gender classes, and I hope you do not
> mean that. Example is that flower in German is refered as female while
> in some other languages as male.

The example I used was dealing with the gender of a user, rather than of
a random noun. Emacs itself doesn't talk about the user very much,
though in principle I could see someone using BBDB to keep track of the
gender of their contacts. Regardless, Fluent can handle either type of
linguistic gender with equal ease, as well as all other types of variation.

db48x