Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 05:28:15 -0500

  > My personal opinion is that gettext is too limited. It works for simple
  > things, but provides no help at all for complex things.

That is true.

  > I think that the most productive way to think about translation is that
  > each coherent message that we present to a user (whether it's via the
  > message function or not) should explicitly be the result of calling a
  > function written by the translator.

That could be acceptable if it is designed such that the functions
are so limited that there are no insecurities.

For GNU to use it, we would want it to fit into the framework
of gettext.  We could have a new function that programs should call,
which would look for a function encoded in the translation string.

Would you please email me the most important parts of the description
of Project Fluent?  So I don't have to hunt for them?

--
Dr Richard Stallman