RE: Pushing the mark from a primitive like goto-char

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Pushing the mark from a primitive like goto-char
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 09:56:58 -0800 (PST)

>>> BTW, is there a reason why 'goto-map' is so terribly unpopulated?
>> Do you have any ideas for what to add?
>
> Not really - it's the first time I've been looking into it.  But given
> the recent discussions about stealing each other's bindings I wonder why
> such a convenient prefix like M-g is not more exploited.  Maybe because
> ESC on a terminal is not so convenient.

You might consider adding `(beginning|end)-of-buffer'
to `goto-map'.

FWIW, my library `menu-bar+.el' has this for the
`Go To' menu (not quite the same thing as `goto-map'):

 Line...                        M-g g
 Column (Position in Line)...   M-g TAB
 Buffer Position...             M-g c
 Beginning of Buffer            M-<
 End of Buffer                  M->
 Next Error                     C-x `
 Previous Error                 M-g p

And if Bookmark+ is available (which has many kinds
of jump commands), submenu `Bookmark' (jumping only).
(Those jump items are also on a more general `Bookmarks'
menu, along with non-jump bookmark commands.)

And if Icicles is available, submenu `Icicles', which
has multi-command items for moving among markers etc.
___

And tag-finding (now "xref") items could be moved from
`goto-map' to a search map (such as `search-map').
They're not so much about going to a predefined
position as they are about finding something.  A user
is more likely to look for finding and searching in
the same place.

`menu-bar+.el' puts them on a menu-bar `Search' menu,
submenu `Tags':

  Find Tag...
  Find Next Tag
  ___________
  Find Tag Regexp...
  Search Tagged Files...
    Continue Search/Replace
  ___________
  Tags Apropos...
  Set Tags File Name...

___

`menu-bar+.el' also puts `grep' and similar on the
`Search' menu, not `Tools' -- they're about finding
or searching.

The `Tools' menu is a catch-all.  Something should
be there only if there's no more specific kind of
"tool"/action place to put it.  Searching/finding
tools are better on a `Search' menu.