Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:04:28 +0300

* Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> [2020-12-29 21:36]:
> The new workflow is "C-s C-y M-y M-y...", the old one is "C-s M-y
> M-y...".  If we could make the first M-y just insert the last kill, then
> both workflows can live together, no?  It's just the prompt after C-s
> M-y which annoys me currently.

I was thinking that basic workflow without incremental search would
be:

C-y M-y M-y...

and that it is logical and user friendly to keep that workflow also
after prefix key for incremental search:

C-s C-y M-y M-y... which currently does its job well.

If I do only this:

M-y then I am asked to yank it from kill-ring and so I expect the same
when I do:

C-s M-y to be asked to yank it from kill ring.

In my opinion users who expect that C-s M-y yank it immediately have
learned it little wrong, instead of changing the function, maybe they
could change their habit.

But then again if function is changed why not change everything to be
consistent. Then M-y should be same as C-y to insert straight yanked
part of text. But that again is highly not logical to basics of Emacs
editing as we have C-y for that.