Rust trademark problems - Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Rust trademark problems - Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 22:18:22 +0300

* Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com> [2020-12-30 17:01]:
> On Tue 29 Dec 2020, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
> >
> >   > Rust is able to generate C dynamic library, so we can link with it.
> >
> > I am interested in understanding what that means.  Could you describe
> > in 10-20 lines what it means?  What is the input, what is the output,
> > and what software does the conversion?
>
> The suggestion above is to build a shared library (.so, .dll, etc), but
> written in Rust instead of C. That requires a Rust toochain to compile
> the code.

It is also to note the freedom issues with Rust trademark as those are
similar to Firefox trademark issues.

>From Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre:
https://issues.hyperbola.info/index.php?do=details&task_id=736

Quote:

Uses that require explicit approval

Distributing a modified version of the Rust programming language or
the Cargo package manager and calling it Rust or Cargo requires
explicit, written permission from the Rust core team. We will usually
allow these uses as long as the modifications are (1) relatively small
and (2) very clearly communicated to end-users.

Selling t-shirts, hats, and other artwork or merchandise requires
explicit, written permission from the Rust core team. We will usually
allow these uses as long as (1) it is clearly communicated that the
merchandise is not in any way an official part of the Rust project and
(2) it is clearly communicated whether profits benefit the Rust
project.

Using the Rust trademarks within another trademark requires written
permission from the Rust core team except as described above.

Reference links:
https://www.rust-lang.org/en-US/legal.html
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/policy/
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/list/