Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 21:51:03 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: joaotavora@gmail.com,  psainty@orcon.net.nz,  acm@muc.de,  rms@gnu.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 14:16:21 -0400
>
> >> I see no need to push any of this to `emacs-28`, so all my
> >> recommendations are for `master` here.
> > Then what do you suggest we do on the release branch?
>
> Absolutely nothing.  This is a very minor convenience issue

I disagree that it is minor.

> and it has no impact at all for now given the absence of code making
> use of that new feature.

Then the patch you don't like will not have any impact, either.

> So I see absolutely no hurry to add such a feature to
> Emacs-28 (as opposed to the hurry there was to add
> `read-symbol-shorthands` itself).

I do see a reason to hurry, because we want to release Emacs 28.1
soon.  So if there are no better proposals, we will stay with the
patch you don't like on the release branch.  It is fine with me not to
merge it to master, or do something else on master, though.