Re: Unicode 13 Emoji ranges composed with wrong font on NS port

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode 13 Emoji ranges composed with wrong font on NS port
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 13:52:01 +0300

> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 09:27:17 +0100
> From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <wyuenho@gmail.com>
>
> However, despite what the NEWS file claims, I was visiting Unicode 13's
> emoji-style.txt downloaded from
> here and noticed that certain composed character in the modifier and zwj
> blocks do not compose using
> Apple Color Emoji on the NS port running on macOS 11, but somehow went to
> Symbola, even after setting
> (set-fontset-font t 'emoji '("Apple Color Emoji" . "iso10646-1") nil
> 'prepend). Specifically, the characters are
> #x270c, #x261d, #x270d, and #x26f9.
>
> I also noticed that Emoji Presentation isn't handled correctly according to
> spec yet, tho much closer than
> most browers except Firefox.
>
> Are these omissions intentional? Sorry I couldn't follow the long emoji
> thread.

No, it should work, provided that your fonts don't get in the way.
The idea is that the VS-16 character in the sequence is supposed to be
supported by your Emoji font, and that causes the entire sequence to
be handled as an Emoji sequence.  It is not clear to me whether the
characters you mention belong to sequences that end in VS-16; if not,
then we don't want to display them as Emoji, because they are just
normal symbol characters.

The set-fontset-font customization you tried won't help because #x270C
and others do not belong to the Emoji script.

I don't know how font selection works on macOS, so I cannot help you
more, sorry.  Perhaps Robert could.