Re: Unicode 13 Emoji ranges composed with wrong font on NS port

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Unicode 13 Emoji ranges composed with wrong font on NS port
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 17:49:49 +0200

    >> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 09:27:17 +0100
    >> From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <wyuenho@gmail.com>
    >>
    >> However, despite what the NEWS file claims, I was visiting Unicode 13's
emoji-style.txt downloaded from
    >> here and noticed that certain composed character in the modifier and zwj
blocks do not compose using
    >> Apple Color Emoji on the NS port running on macOS 11, but somehow went
to Symbola, even after setting
    >> (set-fontset-font t 'emoji '("Apple Color Emoji" . "iso10646-1") nil
'prepend). Specifically, the characters are
    >> #x270c, #x261d, #x270d, and #x26f9.

As Eli mentions below, theyʼre not emoji (in Emacs, at least)

    >> I also noticed that Emoji Presentation isn't handled correctly according
to spec yet, tho much closer than
    >> most browers except Firefox.

You'll have to be more specific. Details matter when dealing with
Unicode :-)

    >> Are these omissions intentional? Sorry I couldn't follow the long emoji
thread.

    Eli> No, it should work, provided that your fonts don't get in the way.
    Eli> The idea is that the VS-16 character in the sequence is supposed to be
    Eli> supported by your Emoji font, and that causes the entire sequence to
    Eli> be handled as an Emoji sequence.  It is not clear to me whether the
    Eli> characters you mention belong to sequences that end in VS-16; if not,
    Eli> then we don't want to display them as Emoji, because they are just
    Eli> normal symbol characters.

They're all Emoji_Presentation=No codepoints, so they should only be
displayed with emoji font if followed by VS-16

    Eli> The set-fontset-font customization you tried won't help because #x270C
    Eli> and others do not belong to the Emoji script.

Right

    Eli> I don't know how font selection works on macOS, so I cannot help you
    Eli> more, sorry.  Perhaps Robert could.

I donʼt think font selection is that different on macOS. Certainly
set-fontset-font works the same.

Robert