Re: Please stop making extra unnecessary work for us all.

From: Campbell Barton
Subject: Re: Please stop making extra unnecessary work for us all.
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 23:55:31 +1100

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:41 PM Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> Hello, Emacs and Stefan K.
>
> I'm referring to
>
> commit 0a7bab689c4a113dd295c9db55d8e76a34d5f9e1
> Author: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date:   Mon Sep 27 23:56:55 2021 +0200
>
>     ; Minor stylistic fixes found by checkdoc
>
> , and several other similar changes.  Yes, that was the entire commit
> message for an assemblage of patches many hundreds of lines long, not
> even mentioning the files changed, never mind the defuns.  Sadly, git
> has no features for amending inadequate commit messages.
>
> But the point of this post is that these changes are surely unnecessary
> with a miniscule benefit, much like pure whitespace changes.
>
> And like pure WS changes, they mess up git blame, they make searches in
> history more difficult.  In some instances they introduce solecisms in
> English usage.

You can use ".git-blame-ignore-revs" to exclude white-space only changes.

Although it's best to limit this "strictly" to whitespace only
commits, since including more general cleanups could obscure
functional changes.

There is still the down-side of causing patches not to apply cleanly
and other things you've mentioned.

--
- Campbell