Re: Please stop making extra unnecessary work for us all.

From: dick
Subject: Re: Please stop making extra unnecessary work for us all.
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:36:23 -0400

I've observed similar bristling over superfluous changes in the past.  I can
only assume the bristlers are of "a certain age" (which I am as well) who cut
their teeth on CVS or RCS.

It is a bad state of affairs when your development process cannot tolerate
whitespace changes since at the core of every good developer is an
insufferable grammarian who obsesses over straight lines and chamfered edges.

Git is singularly designed to make these cosmetic changes non-events via
switches like `git diff -b` and `git merge -X ours`.

I've long grown accustomed to digging several levels to properly assign
git-blame.  Generally if the code in question is complicated enough, the
person responsible is never the first name that shows up.