Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:39:01 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  philipk@posteo.net,  psainty@orcon.net.nz,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  joaotavora@gmail.com,  mardani29@yahoo.es
> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 13:20:43 +0800
>
> But again, making a language server for Emacs Lisp will not improve
> Emacs' support for other programing languages.

Yes, and developing feature XYZ for Emacs will not improve Emacs
support for some other feature ABC.  How is that relevant?

> And it will encourage Emacs users to use non-free software.
>
> So, while supporting the language server protocol for _other_ servers is
> something worthwhile, exposing Emacs functionality to other programs
> through the LSP is not.

This makes very little sense to me: we are supposed to refrain from
developing an Emacs-specific feature whose primary audience is Emacs
itself, because someone might find a way of using it with proprietary
software?  By the same logic, the GNU Project should discontinue GCC
and Binutils, because they can be used to develop and produce
proprietary programs.

Please tell me that I misunderstood something very important in what
you had in mind.