Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 13:38:22 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
>> Cc: agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com,  rms@gnu.org,  philipk@posteo.net,
>>   psainty@orcon.net.nz,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  joaotavora@gmail.com,
>>   mardani29@yahoo.es
>> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 20:49:11 +0800
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > Please tell me that I misunderstood something very important in what
>> > you had in mind.
>>
>> Yes, I was stating that this feature won't find an audience in Emacs
>> users, but will instead find one in people who want to use GitHub and VS
>> Code to edit Emacs Lisp.
>
> How can it NOT find any users in Emacs?  We edit Lisp all the time,
> don't we?  Shouldn't advanced features for indentation, syntax
> highlight, refactoring, etc. of Emacs Lisp programs be very welcome in
> Emacs?

I think the question here is would an Elisp LSP server be able to offer
anything over a direct implementation within Emacs. That this seems
improbable was mentioned previously, so in effect this would only
improve the ELisp support for non-Emacs editors (why there would be
interest for that I find hard to understand, but that is not the point).

--
        Philip Kaludercic