Re: master 859190f 2/3: Convert some keymaps to defvar-keymap

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 859190f 2/3: Convert some keymaps to defvar-keymap
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:27:05 +0000

If by "that" you mean "use a more readable syntax for key bindings, without wrapping each key binding in a call to kbd", then this is not what we will have, even with Stefan K's patch, with which it will be possible to use (kbd ...) in preloaded files. To have "that", it would be necessary to go one step further. Which was the main point of my proposal.

Did you see Richard's reply in this thread? I found it interesting and worth thinking about, especially the part where he says "maybe we should fully adopt a cleaner interface for specifying a key to bind".

Yes, I've seen his reply. And I do not see what could be cleaner than the kbd syntax, which has AFAIK been adopted everywhere, including in the tutorial, manuals, error messages, help buffers, and so forth.

I think it would be useful if we could come up with some ideas for what something like that could look like. Of course, nothing is a given, but a good enough proposal might convince.

The only drawback of the proposal is that those who use for example (define-key some-map "C-" some-command) to mean "bind capital letter C followed by minus" would have to insert a space between "C" and "-" to avoid the ambiguity. Frankly, I don't see how this minor, and as I've said almost theoretical problem, should force us to create yet another syntax and yet another set of key binding functions.