Re: Draw and Scribble Notes in GNU Emacs (Schematics)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Draw and Scribble Notes in GNU Emacs (Schematics)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 18:22:21 -0400

  > Hi, I recently found a way to run Emacs in jailed iOS:

Bravo for finding a workaround for the jail.

  > The iOS application iSH (https://ish.app/) provides a Linux-like shell,
  > which in turn can install and run Emacs. However, no mouse support. I
  > suppose Apple allows this app as it is sufficiently sandboxed.

If you write about this, please mention that Apple's practice of
restricting installation of the user's choice of application program
software is an extreme example of malicious software, designed to
mistreat the user.  Nowadays, if a program is nonfree, it is likely to
be malware in various ways -- you can refer to
https://gnu.org/malware/ for hundreds of examples -- which is an additional
reason why we should put an end to nonfree software.

Most people have never thought along this line; we should take
advantage of every usable opportunity to expose them to the ideas.

One correction

  > The iOS application iSH (https://ish.app/) provides a Linux-like shell,

No shell can be "Linux-like", because Linux is a kernel.  A shell and
a kernel have little in common, except both being programs.  Perhaps
you meant it is a Unix-style shell, or a GNU-style shell.

See https://gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html and
https://gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html, plus the history in
https://gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.