Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files

From: Manuel Uberti
Subject: Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:05:15 +0200

On 15/10/21 14:12, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
Both of these are for the default project-files behavior.

How would we leverage them?

Not sure, sorry. I don't know the rationale behind the decision to stop using vc-directory-exclusion-list, and I have to dig deeper in project.el to better understand what project-ignores and a project-vc-ignores do and how they are used at the moment.

Thanks for checking, I've pushed the patch (slightly tweaked).

I'll give it a try later and come back if I find any issue with it.

Perhaps ideally, we'd just ignore such directories, leaving it to the user to figure out why the files are not showing up. But 'find' doesn't make it easy. First, adding

   -o -type d -a ! -readable

kinda works, but it's a GNU extension, not available on e.g, macOS, so it's a no-go. And even with the '-type d' qualifier it adds some runtime cost, somehow.

I suppose we could just redirect stderr to null (like vc-git--out-ok does) and check for success by the presence of \0 chars in the output, but that's both quite lax and leaves us unable to print the error message when indeed some other kind of error happens. I guess redirecting stderr to a file is the remaining option...

I am ok with customizing a setting to ignore specific directories, but as you said before it should not slow down find. But parsing \0 chars sound a bit scary to me, so yeah, it's a tricky one.

--
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu