Re: gud menus

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: gud menus
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:33:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> It's not a menu, so I don't think F10 should work here.  Do you see it
> working in any old version of Emacs, say Emacs 23?

I'm getting various results, but none that I think I can call "working".
The oldest Emacs I have, Emacs 25.1, if I click the leftmost "toolbar"
bits, then it open that TMM menu with the "File" menu, so it seems like
TMM is overriding the "toolbar".  (F10 does nothing in this mode.)

But items further to the right in the "toolbar" does work.

In the current Emacs, the menu actually works fine when I click on the
items (well, they seem to be shifted, so they don't quite work right).

And none of the "toolbar" things work.

> That works here on MS-Windows, where the TTY frames support the mouse.
> Do you have a build with the GPM mouse to try that?  xterm-mouse-mode
> might not support this, if no one wrote the code.

The mouse (with xterm-mouse-mode) works fine on the normal menu (and
when clicking on other buttons), but for the "toolbar", C-h k *click*

Command: cont
posn-set-point: Position not in text area of window

>> And is it supposed to disable the menus?
>
> I'll have to look into that, but it could be that overwriting the menu
> with these "too-bar buttons" disables the TTY menus as side effect.
> However, with xterm-mouse-mode you should have the global menu on
> C-mouse-3 if you turn off menu-bar-mode.

C-mouse-3 works here...  Uhm, sort of.  It works fine in other buffers,
but in gud buffers, trying to select something gives me:

PNG image

I.e., the echo area fills up with mouse movement things.

So there's something Emacs really doesn't like about that "toolbar", I
guess.