Re: Installing the current emacs-28 branch under Windows 10

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Installing the current emacs-28 branch under Windows 10
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 22:34:37 +0200

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> I also tried to compile hunspell myself and was astonished that
> ./configure didn't work under the MinGW32 shell only under MinGW64!
> Only then I had a closer look and realised that my Emacs compilation
> says "x86_64-w64-mingw32".  I'm thoroughly confused, it was compiled
> under the MinGW64 shell and now it says -mingw32?  Is the Emacs
> executable a 64 bit program or 32 bit which is running on a x86_64
> architecture?

It is normal you are confused, the naming around MinGW is a mess, and
even worse if you add MSYS2.

In this case mingw32 simply means MinGW, which comes from the "old"
MinGW32 project (as it was originally named) and applies too to the
"new" MinGW-w64, w64 means the MinGW-w64 runtime and x86_64 is the
hardware architecture.